Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Exit Through the Loo

Banksy has been a sort of mild obsession since my first trip to Europe in 2004.  Falling in love with graffiti and stencil art, all my research led me to Blek le Rat.  And he led me to Banksy.  And it wouldn't be years later that this would happen....

Inked: April 20, 2009, Staircase Tattoo, Santa Cruz, CA

Finding Banksy's pieces is like a treasure hunt:

Banksy on Melrose.  (this is featured in the film, however is no longer in existence)

Banksy in SF. (taken sloppily and drunk during Bay to Breakers!)

Despite getting a full tank of gas and getting suckered into buying a three pack and wash cloths of car detailer stuff at the gas station on the corner of Beverly and La Brea, I totally missed the Banksy piece on the east facing wall.  UGH, next time.

(Side note, I thought I was maybe getting suckered into some kind of identity theft scheme when the asian guy was selling me on this car stuff, but I told him I trust him because he's asain and he wouldn't rip off another asain.  The african american coworker chimes in that had she tried to sell me the stuff I wouldn't have given in because she's "black".  I said on the contrary, having just read a long article about Christopher Columbus ((it was CC day)) that I would in fact trust her, but NOT the ((blonde hair, blue eyed)) aryan dude standing next to them.  Laughing commences.)

I was very excited to finally see "Exit Through the Gift Shop," the Banksy/street art/pseudo documentary.  However, being of a weird breed of people who cannot watch shaky camera-home video action type movies, sitting through these is difficult to say the least.  Blair Witch Project - puke.  Paranormal Activity - puke.  In my excitement to see "Exit", it did not occur to me that this would be shot in the same style: puke.

I was able to enjoy most of it and laughed at all appropriate parts, but next time I am coming armed with Dremamine and Sprite. 
New Beverly Cinema, Beverly and La Brea, Los Angeles, CA






1 comment:

  1. love! i had so much fun with you guys

    linking my street art pics.. let's do a more thorough LA banksy hunt. i also want to photograph space invaders in la

    http://danslesdetails.blogspot.com/search/label/street%20art

    ReplyDelete