Friday, October 22, 2010

TGIF

Besides my childhood nostalgia for the Friday night programming involving Family Matters, Step by Step, Teen Angel, and Boy Meets World (to name a few), TGIF had been a particular loathsome acronym. 

It is especially hateful when used by stiff working professionals as a greeting.  Akin to "Somebody's got a case of the Mondays" (obviously from Office Space, if you didn't know that, please jump in front of traffic), the term TGIF numbs my brain (and not in that good THC kind of way). 

However, now that I am a working professional (I use this term loosely, and never would I be stiff), this acronym has grown on me.  Sometimes I throw in an extra "F", so as to make it a little edgy: Thank God It's F@&*ing Friday.  Sometimes I throw in a "MF".  And sometimes I make up my own: IIFFY "is it f*&#ing Friday yet" (obviously applicable if you do, in fact, have a case of the Mondays). 

Now it's 5:30pm on a Friday, the office is quiet except for the echo of my keyboard, the lights are dim, and the coffee is cold and stale.  My big Friday plans involve a hot date with Michael's AND Trader Joe's (two worthy men who just happened to live next door to each other!)...  So is it a coincidence that you can't spell GIFT without TGIF?

I reaaallllyyyyyy don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment